Washington County Tidbits 1910-19

Tidbits are newspaper articles, etc. which mention names, places, and other information useful to the researcher.
They will be posted as received, with the newest listed first.

E-mail your Washington County, MO Tidbit to Larry Flesher,

Submitted by Christine Lembeck

Fair Play

January 22, 1910
From Monroe, La. - Henry Boyer, wanted in Washington County Missouri on a charge of murder, and for whom a $300 reward was outstanding, was arrested here and is being held for the Missouri authorities. Boyer confessed to the crime to Sheriff Parker, saying he killed his victim at a dance hall where they had trouble.

Submitted by Christine Lembeck

San Francisco Call, July 5, 1910

HALF A CENTURY SPENT AT THE KEY - Veteran Telegraph Operator Dies After Remarkable Record of Continuous Service Irondale, Mo. - July 4 - Almost half a century at the telegraph key, in the employ of the same company, is the remarkable record of William Martin, station agent of the Iron Mountain railroad, who was buried at Desoto, Mo., yesterday. Martin was born in Baltimore, 66 years ago. He entered the service of the Iron Mountain as telegraph lineman under Colonel R. C. Clowry, now president of the Western Union telegraph company, when 18. He was made station agent eight years later, was transferred to Irondale as agent, in which capacity he remained until his death. Martin was present at the battle of Pilot Knob, in September 1864. He was then a member of the telegraph corps of the federal forces.
Submitted by Christine Lembeck

San Francisco Call, July 2, 1912

Young - In this city, July 1, 1912, Cynthia Susan, widow of the late Eleazer J. Young and beloved mother of Mrs. Lillian M. Regallo and Arthur S. Young, sister of E. B. Smith and Mrs. M. H. Lytton and Mrs. E. J. Northcutt of Missouri and Mrs. W. E. Lytton of Montana and Mrs. S. J. Bubb of Palo Alto, Cal., a native of Washington County, Missouri, aged 56 years, 3 months and 18 days. Friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend the funeral tomorrow (Wednesday), July 3, at 1:30 p.m. from the parlors of Martin and Brown, 1868 Geary Street. Interment Mount Olive Cemetery, by automobile.
Submitted by Christine Lembeck

The Cape County Herald

December 20, 1912
C. A. Eaton, cashier of the Irondale bank, has a long list of endorsements for State Bank Examiner from this southeast Missouri district, including several prominent banks and bankers of St. Louis. Eaton is the son of Dr. J. A. Eaton, Belgrade, Mo., representative elect of Washington County and has possibly had the distinction of being the youngest bank cashier in Missouri. He received his education at Columbia and Cape Girardeau, and has had four years practical experience as a banker.

Submitted by Christine Lembeck

St. Louis Post Dispatch

March 6, 1914
Dr. Daniel F. Hochdoerfer of 3405 Pestalozzi Street, chief autopsy physician of St. Louis, Friday returned from Potosi, Washington County, Missouri, whether he was taken in custody of a sheriff and fined $937 for contempt of court Thursday because he had forgotten all about a summons to appear Monday, though Potosi is only 69 miles from St Louis, Dr. Hochdoerfer figures the journey cost him $59.37. Dr. Hochdoefer was in a restaurant at Grand and Magnolia avenues Wednesday night when a tall slim man approached him and addressed him by name. When the doctor acknowledged the salutation the strange showed him a star, and introduced himself as Sheriff L. C. Flynn of Washington County. Dr. Hochdoerfer then remembered that he had been summoned as a witness in the case of a Potosi constable who shot William Portney at Richmond [Richwoods-Ed.], Missouri, August 13, last. Portney died in a St. Louis hospital and Dr. Hochdoerfer made the autopsy.
Submitted by Sharon Smith

January 19, 1916 (Potosi Journal) Cadet Couple Weds in Potosi

Elmer Roderique of Cadet, MO.
Alice Portell of Cadet, MO.

Mr. Elmer Roderique and Miss Alice Portell of Cadet were united in marriage here last Monday by Rev. Father Canning. The ceremony was performed at the parochial residence. The bride and groom were adttended by Miss Blance DeGonia and Mr. Austin DeGonia also of Cadet. After the ceremony the wedding party dined at the Austin Hotel and took the afternoon train back to Cadet.

Bonne Terre Register, April 28, 1916.


John Dailey, Taken from Orphan's Home Does Not Know His Father Is Living.

A story that reads like a romance from a modern novel appeared in the Lead Belt News last week in which Bonne Terre citizens are leading characters. The wife of the young man referred to in the story was Irene Richardson, daughter of our esteemed citizen, Warren Richardson. Here is the little romance around which might be woven a novel by some literary person.

"Some seventeen years ago Mrs. John Daily, mother of John Dailey of Leadwood, died leaving John and three brothers and their father. The children were all small and the father being unable to care for them sent them to an orphan's home in St. Louis; from which they were scattered to the "four winds".

"John found refuge in the home of Zeno Kerlagon of just east of Bonne Terre, where he spent eight or ten years, or until he was married some six months ago, when he and his bride took up housekeeping at Leadwood where he had obtained employment.

"Everything was moving along nicely with the newly married couple, but John was wondering where his father and three brothers were, if they still be alive, until one day an opportunity presented itself. One of his fellow workmen had come from Potosi and having become acquainted with John, asked him what relation he was to the Mr. Dailey, who lived at Potosi. To which question John answered:

"I do not know." The fellow worker went ahead talking and told John the reason he had asked the question was because he spelled his name the same way and the two Daileys favored each other so much. This put John to studying the more and the thought arose in his mind that he would drive to Potosi, seek the Mr. Dailey, and ascertain if he was one of his lost family. He drove to Potosi last Sunday, met the man and told the above story and the old gentleman gathered him in his arms and said "Yes, you are my son, John". Neither John or his father know the whereabouts of the other three boys, but earnestly hope that they will turn up all safe and sound.

"The father has been married the second time, and has six children by his second wife and all are girls.

"What can you do to help find the three brothers of John?"

Note: It appears from his obituary that he must have located two of his brothers:

St. Joseph Observer, Saturday, November 4, 1916

George Noonan, 46 years old, clerk of the county court of Washington County, his wife, her mother, Mrs. Mary Campbell, and Wade Richardson, 10, all of Potosi, were drowned in the Big River at Blackwell, St. Francois County, when a wagon in which they were attempting to ford the river was swept downstream with its team of horses.

The St. Joseph Observer, September 29, 1917

In this day of exemption stories, the prize, the one that takes the platter and the pastry as well, comes from Palmer, Missouri, from which place Neb Wilkinson was drafted into the army, but still wondering (but his wife is not) why the draft board of Washington county, sitting at Potosi, rejected his plea for exemption. When he was drafted last week, he passed, the physical examination, being found sound in wind and limb. Except that his heels showed fresh stone bruises, acquired from hiking over Ozark hills, he looked able to carry a rifle. But he evidently didn't want to fight, and his eyes continually sought the far blue hills, as told of his patch and his wife and family of seven children dependent on him for support.

The chairman of the board told him he must have a letter from his stating the condition at home. The next day Neb hove in sight over the hill road bearing a missive written on wrapping paper with a lead pencil. The chairman called his colleagues about him. This is what they read: "Dear United States Army: My husband ast me to rite you a reckmend that he supports his family. He can’t read, so don’t tell him. Just take him. He ain’t no good to me. He aint done nuthin but drink lemmin essence an play the fiddle sense we married eight years ago. An I gotta feed seven kids of hissen. Maybe you kin git him to carry a gun. He’s good on squirrels an eatin. Take him and welcum. I need his grub and bed for the kids. Don’t tell him this, but take him. Mary Jane Wilkinson"

Submitted by Christine Lembeck

Fair Play

February 3, 1917
Raymond Ramsey was arrested near Sprott last Saturday and brought to Ste. Genevieve. Ramsey was wanted in Washington County on a horse stealing charge. Sheriff Casey of Washington County arrived in Ste. Genevieve, Monday and took charge of the prisoner.

St. Louis Post Dispatch, March 6, 1919

D.S.C. (Distinguished Service Cross) to 5 Missouri Men
Corp. Melvin G. Politte, Headquarters Company, Fourth Infantry.
For extraordinary heroism in action near Grand Ballois Farm, July 15. After seeing many of his comrades killed or wounded in attempting the same mission. Corp. Politte went forward under heavy shell and gas bombardment and repaired telephone lines. Lexia J. Politte, father, Old Mines, Missouri.

Potosi Journal, Wednesday, February 2, 1910, Vol 16, No. 24

On last Wednesday morning, (Given name not readable) Gill, a colored youth, 16 or 17 years of age, was brought to Potosi and lodged in jail, with the serious charge of attempted rape of a white woman against him. The crime took place at the home of Mrs. Chas. Clancy, near Blackwell, the night previous. Gill had been employed by Mr. Clancy about his farm for the past two years, and on the night referred to, knowing Mr. Clancy was away from home visiting his father, who was ill, he came to the house and asked for a match. As Mrs. Clancy opened the door he grappled with her. Although the woman is an invalid, just recovering from an attack of inflammatory rheumatism, she made a brave fight against the assault, at the same time pleading with the boy to remember her kindness to him in the past and not to carry out his purpose. In this way, after a struggle lasting for more than an hour, she finally prevailed upon him to desist. He then picked up a gun that was in the house and left. Mrs. Clancy at once raised an alarm among the neighbors by telephone and a posse was quickly organized to capture the young fiend. He was found at his father's home nearby making preparations to leave. He was taken to Blackwell and the news of his offense soon spread abroad, and the farmers gathered to hold an immediate lynching bee. However, by the wise advice of Judge Thomas Higginbotham and several others of the older heads, they were prevailed upon to let the law take its course, and young Gill was hostled off to jail. He will undoubtedly get a good, long term in the penitentiary.

Potosi Journal, February 2, 1910, Vol 16, No 24

Woman Suicides By Strangling
Coroner E. W. McFadden was notified last Thursday of the death of Mrs. William Nephew, who lived near the Fountain Farm, in the neighborhood of Cadet, and went out there that afternoon to hold an inquest on the body. He reports that Mrs. Nephew, who was between 50 and 60 years of age, was found lying in the bed with a piece of binder-twine wrapped several times around her neck and drawn taut. She was then dead. One end of the twine had the appearance of having been fastened to a nail in the ceiling just over the bed, from which it had evidently slipped when the woman struggled. The daughter, who was the only person at home at the time, testified that after breakfast her mother instructed her to clean up the yard, which she went about, and afterwards attended to some household duties, thinking her mother asleep in the bedroom. Later when she went into the bedroom she found her mother as stated. Ill health is the cause assigned for the woman's rash act, as she had not been herself for a year or more physically and mentally. She is survived by her husband and several grown children, to whom we extend our sympathy.

This was not in the paper, but Mrs. William Nephew's name was Lucille. Her parents were John and Virginia DeGonia. She and William were married at St. Joachims in Old Mines, Mo., 07 May 1877. Their children were: Cloves Nephew, Agnes May Nephew Compton, Ella Josephine Nephew Hartzell Boyer Dunlap, Tresia Corabell Nephew, Anne Arton Nephew Paul, Frank William Nephew, John Nursecee Nephew, Clara Sarah Nephew, James Martin Nephew, Thomas Edward Nephew and Bertha Lucille Nephew Grace Torrence.

(This information was submitted by the great-grandaughter of Lucille Nephew)

Potosi Journal, Wednesday, Feb 2, 1910, Vol 16, # 24

Hopewell News

Miss Clara Motsch visited in Farmington last week, returning home Monday. She was accompanied by her sister, Miss Katie.
Miss Mary Evens surprised her many friends and relatives by informing them that she was married last Wednesday, the 26th, inst., to a Mr. Bert Gambel of Hillsboro, near which place they will make their future home. Miss Mary is the only daughter of Capt. W. H. Evens of this place, and Mr. Gambel is a promising young man of Hillsboro. We wish them success and happiness.
The appointment of Bro. Bumpas was filled by Bro. Kelley and Bro. Houston of Farmington last Sunday.
Mr. Tom Dee visited homefolks Saturday and Sunday.
Mr. Fred Walton and family visited in Mineral Point Sunday.
Mr. Oscar Byington, who is working on the gravel pit at Leeper, spent Saturday and Sunday at home.
Miss Minnie Fatchett went to Bismarck Saturday.
Mr. Lewis Blum of DeSoto visited his brother, Mr. Al Blum of this place Sunday, returning Monday. He was accompanied by Mrs. Al Blum.

Marriage License

F. F. Henry Ohlendorf.....................Potosi
Mrs. Eileen Rogers.........................Potosi
Fred Wood...................................Irondale
Lola M. Seabourne.........................Belgrade

The Indianapolis Star, Indianapolis, Indiana, April 14, 1911
"Cadet Wiped Out"

Five persons are reported dead and a score injured at Cadet, Missouri, a town of 300 inhabitants, twelve miles south of DeSoto, as the result of the tornado which practically demolished the town. Wires are down in every direction and a creek between Desoto and the stricken village is out of its banks. Of the dead at Cadet, two have identified. They are Mrs. Eli Polite, 35 years old, and her mother Mrs. Singleton, who were crushed when their home was blown in upon them. Eli Polite, husband of Mrs. Polite, was taken from the wreckage fatally hurt. A relief party departed tonight and is reported to have got through to Cadet despite the swollen creek.

Adams County News, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, April 14, 1911
Desoto, Mo.

A tornado hit Cadet, a town of 500 population, twelve miles south of here, in Washington County, Missouri. A number of persons are reported killed and fifteen to twenty injured. The wind virtually swept the town away. Only ten houses in the south eastern part of the town were left standing. Great damage was done in the northern part of the town. The path of the tornado through Cadet was three-quarters of a mile wide. Great damage was also done in the country near Cadet, many farm dwelling houses and barns being wrecked. All wires were blown down. An Iron Mountain signal man brought the news to Desoto. In the southern part of Jefferson County the storm wrecked an automobile in which John Powers and Joseph J. Boyers and George Blackburn. Powers and Boyers were found dead and Blackburn is missing.

A telephone message reports four persons killed and several injured at Valley Mines, in Jefferson County. A number of buildings there were demolished.

Submitted by Christine Lembeck

Warren Evening Mirror, Warren, Pennsylvania, April 14, 1911
DeSoto, MO - April 11

A tornado yesterday afternoon struck Cadet, a little town with 500 population, 12 miles south of here in Washington County, Missouri. A number of persons are reported killed and fifteen to twenty injured. The wind virtually swept the town away. Only ten houses in the Southeastern section were left standing. Great damage was done in the north part of the town. The path of the tornado was three quarters of a mile wide. Great damage was also done in the country near Cadet, many farmhouses and barns being wrecked. A special train left here at six o’clock last evening to bring the injured to De Soto. All wires were blown down. In the southern part Jefferson County the storm wrecked an automobile in which were John Powers of Cape Girardeau and Joseph J. Boyer (NOTE: “Boyers” in newspaper print) and George Blackburn of De Soto. Powers and Boyers were found dead and Blackburn is missing. A telephone message last night reported four other persons killed and several injured at Valles Mines, in Jefferson County. A number of buildings there were demolished.

Provided by Esther M. Ziock Carroll

Destructive Cyclone At Cadet - (From: The Potosi Journal - 19 April 1911) - Much Property Destroyed & a Number of People Injured - Several Fatalities at Valle Mines

Our correspondent at Cadet sends the following account of the visitation there: On Thursday afternoon a cyclone passed over this part of Washington county, doing considerable damage to property & destroying an immense amount of valuable timber. The storm came from the west, cutting a wide swath through the forest on the Company's claim near Shibboleth. One of the large barns on the estate of the late Alfred Long was razed level with the ground. The next house in the path was a building owned by C. A. Young, close by the railroad track, which was moved about four inches from its foundation. Next was the residence of Paul Boyer, which was partially unroofed. The house of Jim May was badly damaged, as was also a small log house near the May place. Then comes the house in which Claude Coffman lived, the kitchen of which was demolished. Next was the home of Jack Boyer, every building on the place was completely ruined. Eli Politte's house & all the out buildings were destroyed, as was also practically all his household goods & food supplies. The storm then crossed the railroad track & in its path was the home of A. Jolly, which was badly broken up. Mrs. Jolly & four children were in the house when the storm struck it & how they escaped was a miracle. The next place was Mack Roderique's, which was partially destroyed. The storm then crossed to Mill Creek & the bluff caused it to veer, & it caught the house & barn of Tom Degonia & in a few moments desolation was complete. The barn of Frank Degonia was also badly injured.

Friday & Saturday the neighbors assembled at damaged places & put up the fences that had enclosed the fields. Pieces of clothing, bedding & iron roofing can be seen in the tops of trees two miles from where the storm picked them up.

Four or five persons were injured, but none very seriously, except Mrs. Singleton, mother-in-law of Eli Politte.

I went over a part of the course taken by the storm & it makes one sad to see what ruin can be done in so short a space of time. I cannot estimate the property loss.

The storm seems to have first centered in Reynolds county Thursday afternoon about 2 o'clock, where it wrecked a number of houses & blew down much timber. The northern part of Iron county was also in its path, as was also Bismarck, but the latter point did not suffer much.

At Bismarck the storm seems to have divided, one section passing northward toward Cadet & Valle Mines, then towards Flat River, Elvins & other Lead Belt towns. In the mining towns much damage to property followed the blow & upwards of fifty people were injured, more or less seriously.

The only fatalities resulting from the storm are reported from Valle Mines, where it seems to have spent its force after a particularly vicious effort at destruction. Susie Baker, a colored woman, & Ella Murphy, her niece, 10 years old were found dead in the boughs of trees, 100 yards from where their house stood. Wesley Smith & 8 year old daughter, also colored, were blown across Swashin creek, Smith was picked up dead & the girl rescued with both legs broken. Wm. Bunt, postmaster at Valle Mines, was carried 150 feet in two lifts & finally jammed against a fence. He was only seriously bruised, however.

Potosi did not feel the storm beyond a heavy rainfall, accompanied by some hail.

Squire S.S. Paul of Cadet was in town Monday last & stated that his home was right in the path of the cyclone last Thursday, but just as it had approached within 150 yards of his house the storm veered & left him unharmed.

Submitted by Esther M. Ziock Carroll

Local Items
From: The Potosi Journal - 19 April 1911

W. T. Woolford spent Thurdsay last in St. Louis.

Mr. James Long made a trip to St. Louis last Thursday.

Judge Dearing will convene circuit court at Ironton next Monday.

Frank McCallion of Bellefountain was in our town last Thursday.

K. E. Dewey of Troutt neighborhood was on our streets Thursday last.

Born to Mr. & Mrs. D. O. Jarvis of near Undine on April 7th a son.

Mrs. J. F. Evans & daughter, Miss Ollie, spent Saturday last in St. Louis.

Miss Minerva Declue returned home last Sunday from a week's sojourn in St. Louis.

Professors J. W. Houstin & B. F. McKinney of Irondale were in Potosi Saturday.

Mrs. W. T. Scott & sister Ethel Simmons of Latty were in Potosi Monday last.

Don't fail to hear Permelia & the band concert at the Opera House Thursday eve.

The Potosi High School will graduate a class of nine at the close of the present school term.

Piedmont now has a daily paper, the Banner, issuing such an edition as well as its weekly.

John Compton of Latty was a caller at this office on Wednesday last to settle with the printer.

Miss Ethel Bunyard of Piedmont, Mo. is the guest of Misses Margaret & Lizzie Belle Richeson.

Robert Recar of Cruise was in Potosi Tuesday & made the Journal office to visit to renew his paper.

Mr. Jesse Horton of Belgrade was a caller at the office Thursday last to order his name enrolled on our subscription list.

The Journal issues a supplement this week containing the county clerk's annual report of the financial condition of Washington County.

T. F. Blount has sold Walter Northcutt two lots, 100 by 105 feet, in block 5 of the Townsend addition, adjoining Mr. Northcutt's home in that part of town.

The 300th anniversary of the English Bible will be observed at the Presbyterian church next Sabbath morning. The entire service will be appropriate to the occasion.

The office of maintenance & ways of this division of the Iron Mountain, that was moved to Poplar Bluff some thime ago, has been moved back to DeSoto.

The recent session of the Missouri legislature removed the restriction upon county treasurers which limited them to one term of office, four years. Under the new law they may now become candidates to succeed themselves.

Reynolds county elected a woman as its county's superintendent of schools, Miss Lulu Barton. She defeated two male opponents for the place getting a majority of 187 over their combined vote. They say she is a lulu as a politician.

All the churches here were well attended at the easter services last Sunday. The day was an ideal one for the occasion & those who had new clothes aired these adornments, those who had none, well - they aired their old ones.

Squire S. S. Paul of Cadet was in town Monday last & stated that his home was right in the path of the cyclone last Thursday, but just as it had approached within 150 yards of his house the storm veered & left him unharmed.

The Bismarck Gazette says the people of Caledonia will subscribe $15,000 or $20,000 toward the new railroad project in that part of the county & that Belgrade would come to the front with a similar sum. They've got the money all right over there.

Mrs. Sarah Johnson came down from St. Louis last Sunday on her way to Belgrade, where she expects to spend the summer. She was accompanied by her daughter, Mrs. N. J. Townsend, who will spend several days with relatives at Belgrade.

The Potosi High School ball team went over to Flat River last Saturday where they engaged Flat River High in a bout on the diamond. The game resulted in a score of 16 to 4 in favor of Flat River. The local team plays Bismarck here next Saturday.

Earl Plank writes us to change his paper from Bonne Terre to St. Louis. He had taken a postion as time keeper for the Terminal Railroad Association at the shops at Brooklyn, Ill., at a better salary than he was getting in the railroad offices at Bonne Terre.

G. W. Scoggin of Glover, Wayne county, has brought suit against the Iron Mountain Railroad for $51,500 damages for failure to install a switch. Some day some Potosian will bring suit against the Iron Mountain for damages to his eyes for maintaining the eyesore it calls a depot here.

By a recent arrangement the star route mail from Aptus to Potosi was discontinued. The carrier on rural route No. 1 has had his route extended to Aptus to which point he takes a sack six times a week. From Aptus the mail is carried to Troutt three times a week, instead of six under the old arrangement.

A team hitched to a buggy, driven by George Johnson, one of our liverymen, ran away at the depot last Monday afternoon. In pulling on the lines to restrain the fightened horses the lines broke & Johnson jumped out of the vehicle to save himself. He was thrown with considerable force, however, & suffered a sprained ankle & wrenched arm.

The city board of aldermen met last Wednesday evening & re-organized. The business of the preceding year was wound up without any outstanding indebtedness & over $200 in the city treasure. It is claimed that more work was done on the city's streets in the past year than was ever accomplished in the same time by any previous administration. Now that a fresh start is being taken it might be well for the board to publish a statement of the various receipts & expenditures just to show the people how & where the city revenues are being expended. There is no ordinace requiring this, but all other cities are doing it regularly, either annually or semi-annually. In Potosi it has not been done for a number of years, yet we are entitled to it.

Rev. Joseph A. Russell, one of the oldest Methodist preachers of his section of the state, died at his home in Lutesville on April 8th, at the age of 73 years. He was an old Confederate soldier & lost an arm in the war. Many years ago Mr. Russell had a ministerial charge in this county for several years & will be remembered by some of our older citizens.

Rev. Geo. L. Chapman of St. Louis, missionary of the Churches of God passed through Potosi Monday last & left the following announcements: He began a protracted meeting at Palmer Monday night, April 17th, which will continue over the fifth Sunday. On the fourth Sunday he will go to Sugar Grove to fill his regular appointment. There will be a corner stone laying service at 11:00 a.m. on that day at the new Bethel near Adam with baptizing in the afternoon. On Monday after the fifth Sunday he will go to Belgrade to begin a revival service.

Deptuy Constable James Richeson of Flat River, formerly of Latty, this county, had a shotgun battle with three yeggmen in "Hungarian town" at Flat River last Monday morning & captured one of the gang & wounded another. The wounded man escaped with the third member of the gang. Sheriff London & a posse are now searching the country between Flat River & Bismarck. The two fugitives are heavily armed. The captured man gave the name of Charles Allen Shountz, Burlington, Iowa. When captured he wore three suits of clothes & a suit of overalls. A grip dropped by the yeggmen containted skeleton keys, steel saws, dynamite caps & fuse. When caught, the robbers were in the act of disposing of a large quantity of stolen goods to the Hungarians.

The circuit court got through with the Yarbrough brothers, Albert & Walter, last Thursday morning by handing them two years each in the penitentiary on the charge of felonious assault. They were taken to Jeff. City by Sheriff Casey the latter part of last week, Harvey Huitt going along as Deputy Sheriff. There are three of the Yarbrough boys in the pen now, Chris having been sent there from Howell county some time ago on a 15 year sentence for horse-stealing & jail-breaking. Walter got four years altogether in the circuit court here last week, & Albert has the best part of a paroled sentence of five years to serve out now in addition to the two years he has just received. The Yarbrough boys have been a heavey burden to the taxpayers of this county for a number years because of their criminal tendencies piling up court costs.

A double header replevin suit was scheduled for hearing in Esq. Thurmond's court Monday. It was over a saddle which Joe Bealke had left at Woodruff's stable & was afterwards claimed by J.E. Crow & John Scott, both replivend for it, Crow from Woodruff & Scott from Crow. Attorneys Frank Farris & James Booth were here, each representing a side of the controversy. It did not come to a hearing, being settled in some way so that judgement in default was rendered in favor of Crow. The saddle was worth about thirty dollars. Costs & attorney's fees probably amount to forty or fifty, & besides Frank Johnson, acting in Crow's interest, got a badly blackened eye.

FARMINGTON TIMES, Farmington, St. Francois County, Missouri, Thursday, July 25, 1912

Last Saturday night Emmet Barnes and John Lore got into a personal difficulty near Cantwell, which resulted in Barnes stabbing and killing Lore.

Lore had been working with Murphy's threshing machine in the National Lead Company's wheat field Saturday, and that evening went to the home of Barnes, whose wife is Lore's sister, and together they went to Jackson's saloon at Cantwell and were "canning" beer in the woods near by.

Mrs. Barnes thought they were staying out too late and went over to where they were and gave them a deserved curtain lecture. Lore objected to this and it is said talked back at her in a way that her husband resented, and the two men got into a fight in which Lore beat Barnes up pretty badly. Mr. and Mrs. Barnes then went home.

Later Lore said he must go over to Barnes' to give his sister some money for his wife. When he got to the door, they ordered him away, which made him mad and ready for another fight. He went outside the gate and stood there abusing them, when Barnes grabbed up a knife and started out after him. His wife, son, and a Mr. Whaley tried to hold him back, but he jerked away from them and ran out, and the two men began to strike at each other over the gate. Barnes struck Lore with the knife in the lower part of the breast, just above the pit of the stomach. After he was stabbed Lore walked away about seventy-five or a hundred yards and fell. Before a physician could be summoned and get to him he was dead.

Coroner English held an inquest over the body Sunday at which the foregoing facts were brought out. Preliminary examination of Barnes before Squire Calvird at Desloge today will be waived, we understand, and he will be released on bond.

The Lincoln Daily Star, Lincoln, Nebraska, December 21, 1913

For Sale, 168 acres, rich soil; lays well; 80 improved; good timber; orchard; water; near railroad; bargain. N. Dapron, Cadet, MO

Submitted by Christine Lembeck

The Newark Advocate, Newark Ohio, May 31, 1917

St. Louis, May 31
A tornado twisted into Mineral Point, Missouri, a village of about 300 inhabitants, late yesterday afternoon, killed about four pesons and injured 30, demolished the town witht the exception of the schoolhouse, and then moved southward to Eye, where Fred Harper, a farmer, was killed by flying debris.

An Iron Mountain passenger train bore the most seriously injured to Desoto, about 15 miles north of Mineral Point. The dead: Thomas Lemasters, Iron Mountain conductor; Augustus Boone, Iron Mountain signal man; Frank Goss, 4 years old; Frank Lachamp, Fred Harper, Eye, Missouri.

Two coaches of an Iron Mountain local running between Mineral Point and Potosi were blown from the track, and it was in this wreckage that Conductor Lemasters and Flagman Boone were killed. The injured were cared for at Desoto in an emergency hospital fitted up in the railroad building. Doctors have been sent from St. Louis to aid in the work there. Relief to the homeless in Mineral Point was given by surrounding towns. Many persons were taken to Desoto and Potosi in automobiles, because of the almost impassable condition of the roads, the rescue work was slow.

Mineral Point is about 75 miles south of St. Louis. The storm struck the village about 3 pm. Wire communication was cut off almost entirely, the first report reaching here over the Missouri Pacific Iron Mountain line. Later telephonic communications was established with Desoto.

Much property damage was done in Alexander County, Illinois, where two men lost their lives. One of the freaks of the Illinois storm occurred near Mounds, when a ten ton steam roller was lifted and whirled for 50 feet.

An automatic block signal on the Iron Mountain railroad near Mineral Point, put into operation by the wind, warned a Memphis-St. Louis train carrying 400 passengers who watched the storm destroy the village and then gave aid to the injured. The victims were place on board the train and taken to Desoto where they were cared for at the railroad Y.M.C.A.

Scores of negroes at Mineral Point aided in the rescue work, according to Conductor Gragg of the Memphis-St. Louis train. A number of freaks were reported, one being the experience of the station agent who was standing with his arm about the shoulders of Thomas Lemasters, conductor, when the Mineral Point station was demolished. The agent escaped unhurt but Lemasters was killed instantly.

A thrilling race with the tornado was won by the engineer of the Mississippi and Bonne Terre railroad near Mineral Point and possibly saved the lives of 100 passengers. When the twister became visible the conductor ordered the engineer to put on full steam in an effort to out run it. The storm followed the train for more than a mile before it changed its course.

Submitted by Christine Lembeck

The Chillicothe Constitution, Chillicothe, Missouri, February 18, 1918

Mrs. Mary Relfe Williams, widow of the late Robert Williams, who died in 1904, died at her home 1120 McNally St., Sunday evening at 9:00 o’clock. Mrs. Williams fell about ten weeks ago, fracturing a bone, which, together with old age, resulted in her death. She was born in Washington County, Missouri, September 3, 1833. She was married in April 1856 and came to Livingston County in 1858, where she has since resided. Four children survive as follows: Robert L. and Minnie Williams and Mrs. Florence Beane, all of this city, and Guy Williams of Creston, Iowa. Another son, Clarence, died about a year ago. Funeral services will be held from the home Tuesday morning at 10 o’clock. Rev. J. N. Boyd, pastor of the Elm St. M. E. Church, of which Mrs. Williams was consistent member. Interment will be made in Edgewood.

Submitted by Christine Lembeck

Charleston Mail, Charleston, West Virginia, August 21, 1918

Casualty Lists: Under Died From Disease
Corporal Lloyd F. Brown, Potosi, Missouri
Private Patrick Daniel Litton, Potosi, Missouri

The Chillicothe Constitution, Chillicothe, Missouri, September 27, 1918

Private A. A. Villmer, Old Mines, killed in action.

The Chillicothe Constitution, Chillicothe, Missouri, December 4, 1918

Corp. Michael Cordia, Richwoods, Killed in Action

The Washington Post, Washington D.C., December 9, 1918

Americans Killed and Wounded on the French Front
Toney E. Eye, Potosi, Missouri

Submitted by Christine Lembeck

Stevens Point Journal, Stevens Point, Wisconsin, October 17, 1919

St. Louis, October 15
The Potosi National Bank at Potosi, Missouri, 67 miles south of St. Louis, was looted early today. The two bandits with an acetylene torch burned their way into the vault and escaped with $25,000.00, it is reported.

Return to 'Tidbits' Page

Return to the Washington County homepage

Larry Flesher, Washington County, MO

Larry Flesher