Washington County Tidbits 1890-99

Tidbits are newspaper articles, etc. which mention names, places, and other information possibly useful to the researcher.

E-mail your Washington County, MO Tidbit to Larry Flesher,

Submitted by Thomas Fea

Fair Play (Ste. Genevieve Mo.), January 16, 1892

On Friday morning, Jan 1, 1892, on her eighty first birthday, Mrs. Juliette Casey, nee Detchemendy, died at her residence No. 3416 South Jefferson Avenue, St. Louis Mo. Mrs. Casey was the daughter of Pascal Detchemendy, of Ste. Genevieve, Mor., the well-known attorney who died not long since at Potosi, Mo. She was the wife of John Casey, who died in 1962 and lived for many years at Old Mines in the county. Mrs. Casey was the mother of John P. Casey, who is well known to the citizens of Washington County, Thomas S. Casey, of Los Angeles, California, Jules A. Casey, Mrs. Joseph Boyce and the late Mrs. Theresa Lynch of St. Louis. The deceased was buried beside her husband at the family burial lot in Mount Olive cemetery, St. Louis on January 3rd.

During the year of 1891 the recorder of Washington county issued 106 marriage licenses.

The Weekly Herald Dispatch, Decatur, Illinois, October 29, 1892

St. Louis, Oct. 24
Strange and startling is the story told by Louis New, of 2208 North Broadway, of a murder committed last December, and for which Mike Pataschwich, a Hebrew junk dealer, was arrested at Mineral Point, a settlement some miles down on the Iron Mountain, this morning.

New says that a few days prior to last Christmas he was on the "bum" from home and got permission from Pataschwich to sleep in a stable adjoining his junk shop on the south side of Clinton, between Broadway and Ninth streets. On the 23rd a stranger dressed like a miner visited the place and seemed to be a friend of the junk dealer.

The stranger told a story of good luck out west, and exhibited a small fortune in gold that he said he accumulated in his ramblings. They talked for some time in the junk shop and then rushed the "growler" very freely. Patashwich did not drink much of the beer, but insisted on the strange visitor consuming nearly all of it. Soon the stranger got very "tipsy" and quarrelsome. From angry words the pair come to blows and the junk dealer felled the stranger to the floor with the blow of a piece of iron. Then he pounced on him and cut his throat with a razor. This done the junk dealer danced about in great glee. He dragged his body into one corner and buried it under a pile of old rags and iron. Then he left the place. Here the body remained until the night of December 23.

"I was back in the stable" said New, "Hearing the "Sheeny" hustling about the shop I peeped through the cracks between the boards to see what he was doing. He had the body uncovered and was stripping it of the clothing. When he had this done he turned the pockets inside out and then began ripping pants legs. As he ripped them I saw gold pieces fall out like rain drops, and think there must have been several hundred dollars in the pile."

"Having gathered up the gold Pataschwich dragged the body back and covered it over. About 12 o'clock that night he hauled his wagon into the stable and I helped him fill the bed with manure. Then he drove me out, but I watched him and saw him drag the naked body from the junk shop and pitch into the wagon. Then he loaded the rest of the manure on top of it. The body was completely buried in the manure when he drove away. I followed the wagon down to the foot of Madison street and saw the whole wagon load dumped into the river."

On this information the police started out on a hunt for Pataschwich. They learned that he had moved some months ago further south, and today he was located at Mineral Point and arrested. "Why didn't you tell this story before?" asked Chief Harrigan when the young man had finished the terrible story. "Well, I did tell it to several people, but not for some time after, and I was afraid to tell the police for fear that I would be suspected of having had a hand in it." "Who did you tell?" "I told my pals, fellows with whom I loafed. I supposed it was in that way that you learned that I knew anything about it."

The chief admitted that it was. New had told the story to many and repeated it so often that it finally got around to the hearing of the police.

Detective Gocking of the fourth district, was the first member of the force to hear of it. He heard the story last Saturday and looked New up. New refused at first to tell the story and was locked up. Believing the story a weird fairy tale, Capt. Matt Kiely besought the young man to deny it. This he refused to do, saying that he has not been able to sleep a night since the terrible butchery. Then he told the whole story over several times and all efforts to catch him lying proved to no avail. He was released and not molested until this morning.

In the meantime Capt. Kiely visited the scene of the alleged tragedy, on the south side of Clinton, between Broadway and Ninth streets. Here he found that everything was as New had stated it was last December. Mike Pataschwich kept a junk shop there, and the surroundings were exactly as he described them. The neighbors were then importuned, but no information of the murder could be elicited. The records were searched for missing people but availed nothing. The chief was then informed and ordered the arrest of Pataschwich. From among the neighbors it was learned that Pataschwich moved last January to Mineral Point and this morning a warrant charging him with murder was sworn out and Detective Gocking was sent after him. Gocking is expected back this evening with his prisoner.

Submitted by Thomas Fea

Fair Play (Ste. Genevieve Mo.), November 19, 1892.

The county jail at Potosi in Washington county is condemned so Sheriff Hurst informs us, and he was obliged to place Mrs. Byington in the St. Louis jail for safe keeping.
Submitted by Thomas Fea

Fair Play (Ste. Genevieve Mo.), January 21, 1893.

The Richwoods correspondent of the Potosi Independent says: "In Mr. John Flynn's parlor, hangs a picture that was drawn by his daughter, Miss Fannie, for which he has refused $500."
Submitted by Christine Lembeck

Saint Louis Christian Evangelist, March 9, 1893

William S. Smith, departed this life February 13, 1893, being 58 years, 5 months, and 10 days old. He was born in Kentucky, September 3, 1834, and came with his father, Benjamin Smith, to Missouri in 1840, and located in Washington County, where on September 8, 1855, he married to Emily Simpson, who with seven children, four girls and three boys, still survive him. Bro. Smith obeyed the gospel in 1856 and for 37 years has lived a devoted Christian. He was a modest, unassuming, yet uncompromising disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ. He was loved and respected by all that knew him. The church at Pleasant Hill sustains a great loss, but we know it is his great gain, so may we all strive to meet him where parting will be no more. To the bereaved family we would say, "Weep not as those who have no hope."
I. B. Dodson, Hematite MO
Submitted by Thomas Fea

Fair Play., April 29, 1893.

Mr. John Flynn, a highly respected citizen of Richwoods, Washington county, died at his home last Tuesday evening.
John Flynn died 25 Apr 1893 and is buried in St. Stephens Cemetery - .ed
Submitted by Christine Lembeck

Fair Play

June 17, 1893

Gov. W. J. Stone, on last Monday commissioned Miss Frances E. Flynn as a notary public for Richwoods township. Miss Flynn, while in Potosi, on last Monday, qualified, and she now has the honor of being the only lady notary in this part of the State.

Submitted by Christine Lembeck

St. Louis Post Dispatch

(this article has been condensed)
June 21, 1893
At the Church of St. Thomas Aquina on Osage street and Tow avenue, at 9 o'clock this morning Miss Mary A. Fox, daughter of Mr. P. Fox, the Catholic book publisher, was married to Mr. Frances Boyer, of Old Mines, Washington Co, Missouri. The bride and groom entered the church together to the strains of Mendelssohn's "Wedding March" and were attended by two bridesmaids, Miss Cinda Boyer, sister of the groom and Miss Agnes Fox, who were simply and girlishly gowned in white dotted swiss of the shower of hall pattern. At 4 o'clock the happy couple left for Old Mines, Mo., where they will in future reside. The house the groom has purchased for the bride was the old family home of her great aunt Mme. LaMarque, in which the bride's parents were married.
Submitted by Christine Lembeck

St. Louis Post Dispatch, July 14, 1893

Mineral Point, Mo., - Mr. H. Bub, on old resident and highly esteemed citizen of Potosi, Missouri, died at his home in Potosi after an illness of two months. Mr. Bub has been connected with the St. Louis, Iron Mountain and Southern Railways for the past twenty years as agent and conductor on the the Potosi branch. His remains were interred at Potosi yesterday with Masonic honors.

San Antonio Daily Express, San Antonio, Texas, August 11, 1893
Cutulla, Texas

The body of Mrs. W. L. Hargus, who died almost four years ago at Fort Ewell (?), LaSalle County, was brought in here and shipped by Pacific Express yesterday via International and Great Northern railway for final internment at Cadet, Missouri.
Editor's note: Mary L. (HARGUS) HARGUS, daughter of Isaac U. & Mary E. HARGUS, was the wife of William L. HARGUS. She was born 12 Sep 1862 and died 15 Jun 1890. She was buried in Old Mines Baptist Cemetery.

Submitted by Christine Lembeck

July 12, 1894, Weekly Independent

Stephen Connolly of St. Louis, is spending a few days visiting Mr. Joseph Connolly in Potosi

I have added in addition to my barber shop a bath room. Any person can get a Hot Bath, Cold Bath or Shower Bath within twenty minutes notice. Prices are reasonable; either by month or single bath - J. W. McHenry

H. H. Robinson, principal of the Bellefontain School, arrived yesterday to take charge of the school.

Mr. Wm. McCarron is suffering with a severe scalp wound, inflicted by Conductor Yates, while he was engaged in a set-to with the brakesman on the mail train returning from DeSoto on the 4th. After arriving home Dr. Eaton dressed his wound, and when the train arrived the following day the conductor was arrested, charged with felonous assault. He gave bond and proceeded with the mail train.

Submitted by Thomas Fea

The Cape Girardeau Democrat., January 5, 1895.

Joseph Forschee one of the pioneer settlers of Washington county died recently, aged 92.
Submitted by Christine Lembeck

Saint Louis Christian Evangelist, January 25, 1895

The cause of Christ in Washington Co., Mo., seems to be taking on new life since Brother I. B. Dodson has been employed as its evangelist. I have just returned from a cooperative meeting held at Pleasant Hill Church on the 4th, 5th, and 6th. Brother A. W. Scott served as Chairman and Miss Stella Hancock as Secretary. There were four preachers present, I. B. Dodson, C. W. Larned, S. W. Robinson, and Robert Abrams.

February 14, 1895, Weekly Independent

Marriage License
Eli Robert and Martha Boyer, both of Union twp
Robert Degonia and Mary Boyer, both of Union twp

Wm. M. Mattingly, of Charleston, visited the family of Mr. L. A. Watkins in Potosi

LOST - A pension voucher belonging to John Barron. Finder will please return to R.M. Bugg Mercantile Co.

Passenger train No. 66, yesterday morning, struck and killed an unknown man on the first bridge north of Cadet. Remains were taken to Blackwell where an inquest is being held by Coroner Teasdale

Partial Obit
Mr. (Edward) Rooney was buried Monday, February 11, 1895, at Old Mines and, despite the severe weather a large concourse of friends, including many of his railroad fraternity attended the funeral. The deceased was born in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1841, moved to Missouri in 1859, and married Miss Mary O'Connell, of Irondale, December 25, 1878, to whom seven children were born, five of which still survive with the devoted wife and mother.

(buried in St. Joachim Cemetery. Ed.)

The party given on last Friday evening, at the home of Mr. John Flynn in Potosi, was one of the most enjoyable affairs of the season. At 11 o'clock the guests were invited into the dining room where refreshments were served... Miss Bridget Flynn, hostess

The children of John Ogie, of Richwoods, were admitted to the county poor house as charges of the county.

The following named persons were appointed road overseers for the year commencing May 6, 1895, for their respective districts: Joseph M. Schmidt, Robert Abram, W. H. Kimberlain, Joseph Declue; Joseph Ennor; Thomas Ronquest, Eugene Boyer, Peter Coleman, Timothy Flynn, J. Henry Declue,Frank Roderique, Henry L. Smith, Peter B. Cole, John T. O'Hanlon, Samuel Patterson, John Trudo, George F. Bales, John A. Ramsey, F.M. Wortham, William Goodson, F.S. Wilkinson, James Yount, James Dickey, Harrison Queen, Anthony Miller, William H. Whaley, Thomas B. Bradley, Jasper N. Lewis, John M. Maxwell, George Fatchett, Jules T. Boyer, William B. Hill, John H. Baker, William T. Scott

Submitted by Christine Lembeck

Los Angeles Herald, February 21, 1895

Irondale, Mo., Feb. 20 - The throes of the great blizzard of February 6th, 7th and 8th are just beginning to be learned from the far outlying "wood choppings" of Washington County. From Beaufort Mountains, eight miles southwest of this place, comes the report of a sad incident which happened in the section. A woodchopper name John C. Warner, his wife and three children were found frozen to death.
Submitted by Thomas Fea

Fair Play., May, 04, 1895.

The Green family, consisting of A. M. Green and his five sons, whose arrest for the murder of David Hildebrand is attracting such widespread attention, have been transferred from the jail at Steelville, Crawford county, to the Washington county jail at Potosi for safe keeping. Fear of their being lynched if left in the Steelville jail was the cause of the transfer.
Submitted by Christine Lembeck

June 9, 1895

"Society Belles of Potosi, MO"

The flourishing Missouri city of Potosi has a great many things to be proud of and a great many blessings to be thankful for, but especially are thanks and pride both due for the beauty and charm of its women. The progress of civilization, culture and refinement of race is inevitably indicated in the prevailing type of feminine beauty, and there is no section of imperial Missouri, in the opinion of all good Potosians, that can surpass this place when it comes to a fair comparison of the good looks, grace and bearing of the society girls. It is consequently, with the most comfortable feeling of security in making this claim that the accompanying group of seven of the most popular belles of Potosi society is herewith submitted to the study of an admiring public.

Miss Jeanette Headlee, whose picture appears in the above group, is a charming brunette, the daughter of Mr. J. B Headlee of this place. She is highly accomplished young lady, especially in music and art, and to much natural talent adds the power of these acquired attractions, making her one of the leading figures among the society girls of Potosi.

Miss Becca Casey is dainty blonde, with soulful blue eyes and dazzling complexion. She possesses a most winning manner, is a conversationalist of rare tact, and sensibly fond of the pleasures of society. As a result of her charms of person and manner Miss Casey has a host of admirers.

Miss Ava Watkins, who is a particularly handsome brunette, stately and imposing, is the daughter of Mr. L. A. Watkins, a commercial traveler for the Liggett and Myers Tobacco Company of St. Louis. The family has a charming home here, and the daughter, Miss Ava, is extremely popular in Potosi society.

Miss Mattie Davidson is the daughter of Postmaster Benjamin Davidson of this place. She is a beautiful brunette, vivacious and magnetic, and quite fond of society. One special feature of Miss Davidson's attractiveness is her grace of bearing and this, with the additional charm of classic features and rich complexion, render her a fitting representative of local beauty.

Miss Myrtle Wood is the daughter of ex Mayor, W. N. Wood of Potosi, and a member of one of our oldest and best known families. She is of the blonde type of beauty, of delicate features, and a very winning in conversation.

Miss Lottie Smith is a dark haired and dark eyed young lady, whose brunette beauty is fittingly accentuated and emphasized by graceful enthusiasm of manner that sits well upon her. She is the daughter of Mr. J. L. Smith, traveling salesman for the Wear-Boogher Dry Goods Company of St. Louis and is very popular here.

Miss Hattie Horsen is the daughter of Mrs. W. D. Horsen for many years proprietress of the Hotel Austin in this city. Miss Horsen is fair with blue eyes and light hair, and is one of the favorites of local society.

[No photo accompanied this article - Ed.]
Submitted by Thomas Fea

Fair Play., November 23, 1895.

The earthquake of last week must have awakened the republicans of the country as they were all at the election on Tuesday. - Potosi Independent.
Submitted by Patricia Weeks


The mangled remains of Charles Kidd of Mineral Point, this county, were found on the railroad tracks at Fredericktown, Mo last Saturday morning. From the best information we can gather, it is supposed that Kidd was murdered and robbed, his body afterwards thrown on the track to be mutilated by passing trains in order to hide the crime. It was known that Kidd had quite a sum of money on his person before starting from Fredericktown to the depot, and that he had spent none on the way. As only a small amount was found on his person, and the fact that the body was cold when pulled out from under the engine by the engineer who discovered it, it is strong evidence of foul play. It is to be hoped that the authorities of Madison County will thoroughly investigate this case and, if possible, bring the guilty parties to justice.

Charles Kidd was the son of H. P. Kidd, Esq., one of Mineral Point's more respected citizens, and was only about eighteen years of age.


Sad Death of a Young Man: Charles H. Kidd of Mineral Point, Washington Co, son of the superintendent of bridge construction for the Iron Mountain Railroad, was struck by the engine of a freight at Fredericktown as it slowed up to take water.


Mangled by an Engine: On last Friday morning at 4 o'clock, Mr Charles Kidd, aged 19 years, of Mineral Point, was run over by the engine attached to No. 80 and nearly cut in two. The coroner's jury cleared the train men from all blame and it was not deemed necessary to examine the engineer and fireman of the engine that ran over young Kidd and find out what they knew, but two important witnesses, the men that drove the buses, and were sound asleep at the time of the accident were examined all right. The jury said "he came to his death by going to sleep on the track". How did they know he went to sleep on the track? The very men who could have thrown some light on this question were not summoned by the coroner to testify in the case. The young man never drank, so his father states, and as Thursday night was a very cold night, and he was waiting for the 3 o'clock train to go home, the idea that he would lay down, nevertheless, the coroner should have taken the time and had these men before him and sifted this matter to the bottom. It would have been easy enough to have traced the whereabouts of the young man from 6 o'clock in the evening until 12 o'clock that night. What was it not done?

FREDERICKTOWN NEWS, January 11, 1896

The News is informed that Mr. Kidd, father of the young man who was run over by an engine on the Iron Mountain road in this city of Friday, the 27th of December, has decided to investigate the matter and to that end will have the remains exhumed and has engaged Dr Norwine of Bonne Terre to make a thorough examination of the body to determine whether any marks of violence other than those made by the engine can be found. Mr. Kidd is justly indignant at the slipshod way the coroner conducted the inquest, if inquest it could be called.

Editor's note: Charles H. KIDD was born 21 Jul 1877 and died 27 Dec 1895. He was the son of Henderson P. & Mary Catherine 'Kate' (BOYER) KIDD. Charles is buried in Hopewell Cemetery.

Evening Bulletin, Decatur, Illinois, January 10, 1896

At Summit, Mo., Wednesday, two freight trains on the Iron Mountain road met on the same track. Engineer Fitzgerald and Fireman Lemons were fatally injured.
Submitted by Christine Lembeck

Edwardsville Intelligencer, Edwardsville, Illinois, March 20, 1896

Mrs. Cora Stege, wife of William Stege, died Thursday at 1:15 p.m., after an illness of four days. She was stricken with a congestive chill Monday morning and another on Wednesday and the third on Thursday caused her death. Her parents were called to her bedside from East St. Louis, Wednesday, but her power of speech had gone and she never recognized them.

Deceased was born in Potosi, Missouri, Sept. 6, 1871, came to Venice with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. Todd, in 1872, where she has since resided.

She married William F. Stege in 1892. Two children were born to the union, little Ruby, a bright little girl of 2 years preceding her mother to the grave several months ago. The husband and infant child also a fond mother and father and several sisters and brothers are left to mourn her loss. The funeral will take place Sunday at 2 p.m. to Nameoki.

Submitted by Christine Lembeck

The News boy, April 4, 1896

From Potosi Journal - The town of Caledonia in the south end of this county experienced a serious fire on the 12th last, which caused a loss of property amounting in the neighborhood of $5,000.00 The fire started in the residence of Mr. F.P. Marrow from a defective flue and was soon beyond control. From the Marrow house the spread to the store of C. L. Southall, adjoining, and thence across the street to the post office where it was arrested by hard work.

St. Louis Post Dispatch, April 30, 1896

Marriage Announcement
John Hammer of 3210 S. 7th Street to Rosa A. Walsh of Mineral Point, Missouri
Submitted by Christine Lembeck

The News boy, May 9, 1896

Arthur Ellis shot and killed Robert Parmley at a play party near Potosi Saturday evening.
Submitted by Christine Lembeck

Weekly Independent, January 11, 1897

Mr. Harvey W. Buckley was in Potosi on Friday last en route to his home in Palmer from Oregon County, where he has been visiting relatives. Harvey ordered the Independent mailed to him at Steelville, Missouri, where he is attending the Normal and Business Institute.

P.T. Ramsey left Monday last with a car load of mules for Memphis, Tennessee

Asa Barger, who has been employed as a street car conductor in St. Louis, returned to his home Saturday last

We regret to learn of the death of of Mr. Felix Barron, of Irondale, which took place at his home Monday night and was caused by a congestive obill. Mr. Barron was an old and much respected citizen of Concord township. He was postmaster, and for many years has been engaged in the general merchandise business at Irondale.

Patrick Walsh, age 60 years, died at Blackwell Monday morning, suddenly. Mr Walsh was a citizen of Mineral Point, and was employed by the I.M.R.R. as a watchman at the tunnel near Vineland. He carried a life insurance policy in the Catholic Knights of America at Potosi for $2000.00, which amount will be paid to his wife.(another article states five children survive him)

At Cadet, Missouri, on January 5, 1897, William Culton, aged 82 years. He came to this county about the year 1824 from Kentucky. He was buried at Cole's Graveyard on Tuesday, a large number of friends attending the funeral. The deceased leaves one son, E.H. Culton.

Submitted by Thomas Fea

Fair Play., December 05, 1896.

Last Friday evening two strangers were in Potosi for a short time, and while here attempted to pass counterfeit silver dollars over the counters of several of our merchants. The claimed to reside in Harmony township, Cortois, but when asked where the got the counterfeit money they expressed surprise that is was counterfeit, and could not explain where it came from. They quietly left town over the Palmer road. - Potosi Independent.
Submitted by Christine Lembeck

Weekly Independent, January 12, 1897

Probate Docket February Term
Gideon Wood, guardian of John E. Smith, a minor
Mary E. Wood, administratrix of Eliza Wallen, deceased
John F. Farrel, administrator of Simon A. Farrel, deceased
Thomas Welch, guardian of Mary G. Welch and James Perry Welch, minors
Richard H. Jackson, administrator of Mahala Jackson, deceased
James A. Shields, administrator of Gardner Hemenway, deceased
David N. Sparks (?), administrator of Merdicia Howard, deceased

Submitted by Thomas Fea

Potosi Journal January 27, 1897

Died at his home on Indian Creek on the morning of January 20th, 1897, William Fea, aged 38 years and 4 months. He was confined to his bed just ten days with pneumonia, which was the ailment that cut him down in the prime of life. Friend and relative alike, grieved deeply when they heard that he was seriously ill, but still maintained the hope that he might recover. When, however, he was summoned upon that final pilgrimage by Him who doeth all things well, they gave him up to their loss and sorrow.

The deceased leaves a widow and three small children [Joseph Nixon, Thomas Michael. and John William], and numerous relatives and warm friends. His remains were buried in the old Baptist graveyard on Fourche a Renault [now called the Rabbit Hollow cemetery]. May God comfort the bereaved ones in their great loss.

Dearest brother thou hast left us
And thy loss we deeply feel;
But 'tis God who has bereft us, He
Call all our sorrows heal.
Yet again we hope to meet thee when
The day of life has fled;
Where in Heaven with joy we greet
Thee, where no farewell tears are shed.

Submitted by Christine Lembeck

Winchester Journal, June 2, 1897

Levy, Washington County, MO, Dear Editors: I thought perhaps you would like to hear from the hills of Missouri and as that is now my home, I will drop a few lines to the Journal as I am a reader of that paper. Everything here is booming, wheat is heading, and corn is being planted the second time, there will be plenty of wild fruit here, but peaches are mostly killed. Fish weighing from one to four pounds are in abundance, and easily caught. The new potatoes are as large as hulled walnuts, so you see we are ahead of Indiana. I live about thirty miles the Iron and Ozark Mountains; it is also twelve miles to the depot. There is lead on the place we live on. Foxes can be heard barking around the house every night. My father is an old soldier and belongs to the G.A.R. post at Trenton. Very Truly Yours, Miss Ina A. Sheppard
Submitted by Christine Lembeck

June 3, 1897, Weekly Independent

Walter Barron and John Boyer, charged with disturbing the peace of a family, plead guilty to the charge before Squire Glore on Saturday and were fined $1 each and costs. They are serving out their fine in the county jail.

On Wednesday last, Captain Fred Will was appointed postmaster at Potosi, vice Mr. Benjamin Davidson. Capt. Will is at present enjoying a vacation at Baden Baden Germany. He is expected at Potosi the last of this month and will take charge of the office July 1st.

Submitted by Christine Lembeck

December 1897, Weekly Independent

Messrs. Harmon and Price, who live in the same house, gave their five year old sons a hatchet each to play with. The other day the lads told their mammas they were going out to chop cord wood, and a short time afterward they were both heard crying. Mrs. Harmon rushed out to find young Price had accidentally cut one of her boy's fingers off. Dr. Bowser dressed the crippled hand.

William McGuire was cutting wood at the Kaye Mines last Monday when the ax glanced and inflicted an ugly wound in his foot. He says this is the eighth time he has had such an accident, and just made an application of turpentine and kept on chopping.

Tom Johnson, who lives on the Shields farm on this (Bates) creek, will soon move to the Coleman farm, on Furnace Creek.

Dr. Bowser and Andrew Oster went to St. Louis last week to a hospital, where a surgical operation was to be performed upon the latter.

Probate Court Docket - February Term 1899
M____ Casey, guardian of Clara Casey, minor
Thomas Welch, guardian of James P and Mary G Welch, minors
Edward Eversole, administrator of estate of Felix Barron, deceased
Annie R. Hays, administratrix of estate of James M. Hays, deceased
Lucy J Bust, administratrix of estate of Robert Bust, deceased
Peter S Coleman, executor of Adrian Coleman, deceased
James A Shields, administrator with will annexed, of Wm G Howard, deceased
Charles W Lucas, executor of Philip Lucas, deceased
A J Norwine, guardian of Alvin L. House, minor
Louis Barron, guardian of David Barron et. al., minors
Lane Parmley, guardian of Mary S Boyd, a minor

Submitted by Christine Lembeck

Potosi Journal December 15, 1897

Mrs. Huddleston, wife of Luke Huddleston, and old citizen living about four miles east of Potosi, died last Friday night. She was buried Sunday in the cemetery at Hopewell

Ed Summers (colored) died last Saturday at noon of consumption. He was in poor circumstances and a collection was taken up in town to defray his burial expenses. This is the second death Potosi, with a population of 800, has had in the past 12 months.

A sluging party was given at the home of Mr. S.P. Patterson last Saturday night in honor of his 28th birthday. Singing was kept up until 9:00 p.m. when a nice supper prepared for the occasion was partaken by the guests. After supper a candy pulling match was held until the hour of midnight. Amoung the guests were Mr. and Mrs. Ben, Martin, and Mrs. Martin of Furnace Creek, and Miss Lea Hutchings of ________ Creek

Potosi Journal, December 22, 1897

Uncle Tom Maxwell fell on the sleet Saturday and broke his arm. Lovel Bryan also slipped from the same cause and fractured his hip.

Died, at her late home, near Summit, Missouri, Mrs. Celestial Huddleston, wife of Luke Huddleston, on December 10, 1897, of pneumonia, at the age of 63 years, 4 months, and 8 days. Mrs. Huddleston was for 50 years a consistent member of the M. E. Church South, and died rejoicing in a Savior's love. She was a woman of kindly nature, beloved by all who knew her, and her death casts a gloom over the hearts of her many friends. She leaves an aged husband, two daughters and a son, to mourn her departure.

Submitted by Christine Lembeck

March 1899, Weekly Independent

Circuit Court Proceedings
State vs. Thomas Turnbaugh, disturbing religious worship, trial by jury, verdict of guilty and fined $10
Joseph B. Salmon vs Jeannett R. Salmon, divorce; dismissed for want of prosecution
A. S. Dyckman et. al. vs. John T. Gough, suit in ejectment
J. Patterson vs. Samuel & J. Richeson, appeal from justice of the peace court; dismissed
Fannie L. Martin et al vs Wm. C. Ross et. al. suit to ___ title to real estate
Lena Schlichtig vs Frank Schlichtig, divorce, plaintiff granted custody and care of child
Nellie Fletcher vs. Wm. Fletcher, divorce; granted
Wm. ____ Smith vs. B. Ward
Noah R. Richardson vs Annie D. Richardson, divorce; continued
Wm. Guly vs. Amanda Guly, divorce; plaintiff granted custody and care of children
State vs John Thompson, disturbing public meeting, plea of guilty and fined $1
State vs Rufus Jordan, carrying a pistol, plea of guilty and fined $50
Howard Carr vs Charles Carr, continued
Robert H. Evans vs James Dee, action on judgment; dismissed by plaintiff
Samuel A. Crocker & Co. vs J. L. Eaton, action on account, dismissed by plaintiff, receipt produced showing payment of account
Mary Bean vs H. Griffith, action for slander, judgment by confession for plaintiff in the sum of $800.00
State vs. Anthony Declue, carrying a pistol, trial by jury, verdict not guilty
Eliza Farrar vs George V. Farrar; divorce; granted
State vs Wm. Blair, felonious assault; plea of guilty; fined $10

LUKE HUDDLESTON was born in Douglas County Arkansas, May 15, 1824, came to Washington County Missouri before the Civil War in 1859, where he lived until his death. He was married in 1840 to Miss Sophia Hill, with whom he lived happily until her death in 1860. He was married a second time to Miss Celestial Barron in 1862. A few years agohe sent for his pastor and was received into the Methodist Church at his home in a quiet way. He was a kind husband, a self-sacrificing father, always willing to do what he couldfor the comfort of his children, of whom six survive him. He passed over the last river from the home of his daughter, Mrs. Laird, at the Hotel Austin in Potosi, Missouri, March 5, 1899.The remains were carried to Hopewell Cemetery to wait the resurrection morn.

Partial Obituary
MRS. A. F. ANDES died of pneumonia, at Belgrade, Missouri, Saturday morning February 23, 1899 and was buried beside her mother and sisters, the following day in the Presbyterian church yard, at Potosi, Missouri. Florence Coghill was born in Amherst County, Virginia, April 4, 1859. When quite a young girl she came with her mother and family to Potosi, where she resided for a number of years.

Born to the wife of Greeny Mason, a daughter. Mother and child are doing well and Mr. Mason is able to proceed to work again.

Roe Eaton is the happy father of another girl. Mrs. Eaton and the baby are doing well...

Return to the 'Tidbits' page

Return to the Washington County homepage

Larry Flesher, Washington County, MO

Larry Flesher